5.17.2010

10_0517 | dinner in the tres…

Again, with the dinner parties…

To celebrate the gringo Mexican holiday, I put together the most authentic menu humanly possible.  I’m talking about recipes from dusty remote villages in the high plains of Mexico handed down for generaciones.  I’m talking about a menu that would bring Ricardo Montalban back to the streets of Mexico City.  This dinner was so authentic, it was illegal to serve it outside of Mexico.  It was ridiculous.  What did I serve you ask?  Hold on: I’ll feed you baby birds.  First off, we started with Greek Machos [from Greece!], then moved to Gazpacho de la Fruta [from Spain!], beer-battered Fish Tacos [from Baja!], and finished with Piña y Pasión [from me!].  Authentic, I know!  It was an amazing feast, but the food couldn’t hold a candle to the company.  I guess I’ll have to work on that.

Potato chips served w/ tzatziki and ground lamb make excellent appetizers.
  
The Greek nachos are a pile of fried potatoes, seasoned ground lamb, tzatziki sauce, and tomato.  It tastes like a Grecian party in your mouth [sans the Ouzo].

Nothing is more 'summer' to me than a bowl full of fresh fruits
and vegetables.  This gazpacho is perfect for the hot days.

From Spain, we have an amazing summer dish.  Every spoonful is literally a spoon full of summer.  I’m not kidding: the recipe is sunshine, water, sun-block, and boating.  To make it, mix all the ingredients in a 30 quart food processor [that sunshine takes up a lot of space] and pulse until coarsely chopped.  Serve with a sprig of mint.

Beer-battered and piled with sloppy sauces, these tacos
hit the spot, especially when doused with fresh squeezed lime.

The only Mexican dish consisted of beer-battered tilapia, red cabbage, fish taco sauce, and salsa wrapped in the world’s most amazing tortillas.  These tortillas were hand-made on the stomachs of Mexican virgins.  No, they weren’t actually, but they are really good.  Next time you’re at the store, buy La Tortilla Factory chipotle corn tortillas. 

Tired of childish desserts?  Add vodka to juice and fruit sorbet
for a mature dessert that doubles as a nightcap.

We finished up with a little dessert cocktail I call piña y pasión.  It consists of three kinds of sorbet, two kinds of juice, and one kind of vodka. 

Be sure to visit my recipes page to get the recipes from this dinner.  The meal had an amazing summer quality to it and I will surely be making the tacos over and over again.  If you would like to have me come over and make you this dinner, you can find out how by clicking this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment